Our specialist immigration team has diverse experience of providing advice to both individuals and companies on all aspects of UK immigration and nationality law, combining excellent client service with clear, practical and strategic advice on all immigration matters.

Applications for passports and travel documents

When you need to apply for a British passport or a travel document, Stirling Ackroyd’s specialist team of immigration experts can help. We will provide the advice that you need and handle your application if you decide to proceed. You may need to submit documentary evidence in support of your application, and we will explain all of these requirements, as well as providing assistance with completing the relevant application forms, with the aim of achieving a favourable outcome.

Personal visa applications

Wherever you wish to travel, Stirling Ackroyd Legal can help you with the visa application process. We will provide advice and guidance on eligibility requirements and steer your application towards the desired outcome.

Please contact us in order to discuss your individual requirements and a member of our team will be very happy to help you.

Corporate immigration

When you need to bring skilled, qualified overseas staff to your business in the UK, the immigration experts at Stirling Ackroyd Legal can help. Different employees will have very different visa requirements, and we will advise on the most appropriate option and guide you through the process towards a favourable result.

Tier 2 General Visas

Tier 2 General Visas enable you to sponsor skilled workers from overseas, to allow them to come to the UK in order to work for you, in a role that must be sufficiently skilled and pay an appropriate salary. The resident labour market test will apply, meaning that you will usually need to show that you have already been unable to recruit a UK national into the position.

Tier 2 Intra Company Transfers

We can assist you in applying for Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfers, allowing you to bring your skilled workers from your overseas branch to your UK office.

  • Long term staff covers applicants who will work in your UK branch for a minimum of 12 months in a role that cannot be filled by a UK national, and who have been employed by your firm in their country of origin for at least 12 months.
  • Graduate trainees can come to your UK branch for up to 12 months to receive training for a specialist role. They must have worked in the overseas branch for at least three months.
  • Extension applications can be granted as long as the criteria continue be met.
  • Indefinite leave to remain may be granted subject to five years’ lawful and continuous residence in the UK, along with the successful completion of a UK life and language test.

Spouse and partner visa applications

A spouse visa will allow you to remain in the UK as the spouse or partner of someone who is already resident. Whether you are applying from within the UK or from overseas, we will handle your application with sensitivity and care. There are some general eligibility requirements, as follows:

  • You need to prove that you have met your partner and that you intend to live together
  • You must show that any previous relationship has officially ended, for example in death or divorce
  • You may be required to take an English test, although there are some exemptions
  • The financial requirement means that you must provide evidence of your partner’s gross annual income

Once granted, a spouse visa can be extended. After five years’ continuous and lawful stay in the UK, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain. You must show that you are in the same relationship and meet the financial requirement.

Immigration min


Adoption is the process by which a child legally becomes a member of a new family, with one or two adoptive parents. Adoption is a very special area of law because every case is truly unique, and it is primarily a service for children. Our expert adoption team will handle your adoption application with skill, sensitivity and care, keeping you fully updated at all times. The granting of an Adoption Order by the Court transfers all parental rights and responsibilities to the adoptive parents.

Anyone over 21 years of age can apply. Adoption law currently has no upper age limit. Whether you are single, married, in a civil partnership or same-sex relationship or you are already the step-parent of the child you wish to adopt, the primary requirement is that you must show that you can meet the needs of the child.

Inter-country adoption

Adopting a child from overseas can be allowed, subject to the following requirements:

  • The child cannot be safely looked after in their country of origin
  • The adoption is in the best interests of the child and will not affect their human rights
  • You have been assessed by a UK adoption agency as suitable and eligible to adopt a child from overseas

The first step is to contact a UK local authority adoption agency, who will assess your suitability to adopt a child. If successful, a certificate of eligibility will be issued. You will be matched with a child and expected to meet them in their country of origin. The legal processes and requirements of both the UK and the other country will need to be fulfilled before you can bring your child home. Inter-country adoption can become complicated, and we can advise and support you through the entire process, always looking after the interests of you and your family.

Adopting a ‘looked-after child’

A ‘looked-after child’ is someone who is in care. Our adoption law experts can guide you through the entire adoption process. The first step is to approach an adoption agency, who will assess your suitability and help you prepare to become an adoptive parent. This process could take over eight months. If successful, you will be matched with a child. They must have lived with you for at least ten weeks before you can apply for an adoption order.

Adoption by a step-parent

If you are already a step-parent, you may wish to formally adopt your step-child or children. Even though you are already a family unit, adoption can actually be a complex process, because the consent of the other biological parent will usually be required, and the adoption must always be in the child’s best interests. Please contact a member of our team for advice and we will be happy to help you.

Get a Quote

Get a Quote

Please use this form to request a free quotation for legal services.